Hi, I am Nicole, owner and designer of Spot Colors and LaBranche Designs. I am a graphic designer, 3rd generation crafter, stitcher, new wifey, fur mommy, ice cream lover, and craft beer drinker.
Growing up on things like Lisa Frank and The Muppets, I have always had a love for colorful fun things. My sister and I collected pens, pencils, and stationery as a kids and we used to compete to see who had collected the most fun pencils.
As kids, me, my sister, and my cousin spent many a weekend morning at craft fairs with our mother, aunt and grandmother while they sold their handmade jewelry, sewn items, and plastic canvas pieces. About 8 years ago my mom felt that she could no longer really enjoy jewelry making with her carpal tunnel so she gave me all her tools and supplies. From then on, the jewelry making started to become my “side job”. After jewelry I began dabbling in designing my own note cards. Then a couple years ago when my sister started cross stitching again, my mom gave us all her cross stitch supplies. As a child she and my grandmother had taught us how to cross stitch and embroider. It all came flooding back!
For 8 years I participated in New Orleans local arts and crafts markets. In 2009 I opened my first Etsy shop, Junkmedal Jewelry. Selling only jewelry at the time, I wasn’t doing half bad! In 2015 I decided to break off into Nikki By Design for my graphic designs like note cards. As I began developing more and more non-jewelry, I realized I enjoyed making so much more and wanted to share that with the world.
In 2013 I opened my brick and mortar shop, Spot Colors. I never thought opening my own store to be possible but I did it and it wasn’t that hard. I loved the idea, but after 2 years decided that having a location just wasn’t for me. I like to be able to work from anywhere and not have a location holding me back. I am glad I got the opportunity to have my own physical shop and don’t regret it!
Spot Colors home base will always be New Orleans, but I have been recently traveling more and working from other cities. New Orleans is like no other city though. Full of creatives and character it can be truly a great place for artists. No doubt that most of my edge comes from growing up in Louisiana.
You can find my work online at spotyourcolors.com, nikkibydesign.com and Handmade at Amazon. You can find us in stores at Zele Nola @ 2841 Magazine St New Orleans, I.J. Reilly’s @ 632 Elysian Fields Ave New Orleans, Wholly Craft @ 3515 N High St, Columbus, OH, The Hoop & Needle @ 4019 Hamilton Ave, Cincinnati, OH. You can also find us on Facebook and Instagram.
- My little family consists of my new husband (Tim), our 2 doggies (Max & Lily), our 2 cats (Tang & Avery), and rabbit (Bean).
- I am obsessed with anything Jim Henson or Muppets.
- I LOVE ice cream
- I have worked in the film industry since 2005
- I have a BA in film/communications from the University of New Orleans and a Certificate in Digital Publishing from Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD).
- I enjoy the beach, more for relaxing than swimming.
- I am really getting into craft beers thanks to my husband.
- We visit a brewery or 2 in every city we visit.
- I tend to have at least 5-10 creative projects going on at once, and only about half get completed.
- I have never been to another country (I don’t think Cancun for my senior trip counts)
And now, fur baby photos!!!